Hummus and Pita Bread Recipe | Hummus with Homemade Pita
- 2 cups canned chickpeas drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup well-stirred tahini
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Dash of ground paprika for serving
For the Pita Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Blend the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and chickpeas in a blender until smooth.
- Then, add olive oil, cumin, and salt to the chickpea mixture and blend again, adding water as needed to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Now, transfer the hummus to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika.
For the Pita Bread
- Mix flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Gradually add water and knead until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough into six balls and roll each into a circle.
- Cook each circle in a hot, dry skillet until puffed and golden on both sides.
Dish Pairing Ideas for Hummus and Pita Bread Recipe
Here are some dish pairing ideas that complement the flavors and textures of your hummus and pita bread recipe:
Grill a mixture of zucchini, bell peppers, eggplant, and mushrooms. The smoky flavor of the grilled vegetables pairs beautifully with the creamy hummus.
This refreshing salad (Tabbouleh Salad) with bulgur wheat, fresh parsley, mint, tomatoes, and cucumber, dressed in lemon juice and olive oil, offers a bright contrast to the rich hummus.
These crispy chickpea balls are a classic Middle Eastern food that combines hummus and pita. Serve with a drizzle of tahini sauce.
The acidity and crunch of pickled vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, or beets can be a great palate cleanser between bites of hummus and pita.
Chicken or Lamb Shawarma
The spiced, grilled meat can be served alongside or inside the pita with hummus for a hearty meal.
A Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheese, and a light dressing can be a refreshing side to the creamy hummus.
Roasted Red Pepper Dip
Another dip, like roasted red pepper or baba ganoush, can offer a variety of flavors when served with hummus.
Grilled meat or veggie kebabs offer a unique texture and smoky flavor, an excellent complement to the soft pita and creamy hummus.
Feta and Olive Plate
A simple plate of feta cheese and assorted olives can complement the flavors in the hummus, adding saltiness and richness.