Homemade Chicken and Dumplings is a classic dish that never fails to bring warmth and comfort to any meal. This traditional recipe promises a rich, savory chicken broth brimming with tender vegetables and hearty dumplings. It’s the perfect embodiment of home cooking – simple, nutritious, and absolutely satisfying.
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings | Homemade Dumpling
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
- In a large pot, put in the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Then, season everything with salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover everything and bring it to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat, and until the chicken is cooked, let it simmer.
- Once done, remove the chicken from the large pot and set it aside so it may cool. Strain the broth, discarding the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt to make the dumplings. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inches thickness. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- Bring the broth to a boil and drop the dumplings in it, one at a time, during that stir gently. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- While the dumplings are cooking, debone the chicken and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken and fresh parsley to the pot. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until everything is heated through.