The grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup duo is a crispy, cheesy delight paired perfectly with creamy tomato goodness. An iconic combo for gourmet palates.
Easy and Delicious Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Recipe
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 8 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or fresh)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes, occasionally mashing the tomatoes.
- Once cooked, blend the soup using a hand blender until smooth.
- Add heavy cream and stir well. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Place a slice of cheese between two slices of bread for the grilled cheese.
- Butter the outside of the bread generously.
- Over medium heat, cook the sandwich in a non-stick skillet until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve the hot grilled cheese with the tomato soup on the side.
Side Dishes or Accompaniments for Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Salads: A fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette or Caesar salad can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors.
Fries or Potato Wedges: Seasoned potato wedges or fries can be an indulgent side, especially when dipped in tomato soup.
Pickle Spears: The tanginess of pickles can cut through the richness of the grilled cheese and enhance its flavor.
Veggie Sticks with Hummus or Ranch Dip: Raw veggies like carrots, celery, or bell peppers can offer a crunchy contrast and can be elevated when paired with a tasty dip.
Chips: Whether it’s classic potato chips, kettle-cooked chips, or even tortilla chips, they can add a delightful crunch.
Roasted Vegetables: Seasonal vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or asparagus, roasted with olive oil, salt, and pepper, can make for a healthy side.
Coleslaw: A chilled coleslaw, whether creamy or vinegar-based, can provide a refreshing taste contrast.
Mozzarella Sticks: A cheese lover’s delight, these can double down on the cheesy goodness.
Garlic Bread or Bruschetta: A nice piece of toasted garlic bread or bruschetta with tomatoes can complement the dish and scoop up any remaining soup.
Fruit Salad: A light fruit salad with citrus fruits can offer a palate cleanser after the hearty grilled cheese and soup.
Pairing these dishes with Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup can enhance the dining experience.