Indulge in the delectable flavors of Vegan Spanish Rice and Beans, a healthy and vegan dish perfect for any occasion.
Vegan Spanish Rice and Beans | Spanish Veg Dishes
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Take a large skillet and heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook until turns translucent.
- Stir in the bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add rice to the skillet and stir continuously to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is almost tender.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes, black beans, smoked paprika, cumin, and coriander.
- Continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes or until the rice is cooked through, and make sure that most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with fresh cilantro.
Complementary Dishes to the Vegan Spanish Rice and Beans:
A refreshing, cold, tomato-based soup made with fresh cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, and garlic, blended until smooth.
Vegan Patatas Bravas
Crispy roasted potatoes served with a spicy tomato sauce. This classic Spanish tapa can be easily veganized and is always a crowd-pleaser.
Vegan Tortilla Española
Traditionally made with eggs, this Spanish “omelette” can be vegan using chickpea flour. It features thinly sliced potatoes and onions cooked together in a pie-like shape.
Espinacas con Garbanzos
A simple yet flavorful dish made from spinach and chickpeas cooked in a tomato and garlic sauce, seasoned with smoked paprika and cumin.
Vegan Almond Aioli
A creamy and garlicky dip made from almonds, perfect for dipping bread or drizzling over various dishes.
Pimientos del Piquillo Rellenos
Sweet piquillo peppers stuffed with a mixture of rice, veggies, or any vegan filling you choose.
Pan con Tomate
Grilled or toasted bread rubbed with garlic and ripe tomatoes, then drizzled with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Simple but incredibly tasty.
Olives and Pickles Platter
A selection of marinated olives, pickled chilies, and other pickled vegetables. It is a great palate cleanser between dishes.
Vegan Flan or Crème Caramel
A dessert to round off the meal. Traditional flan can be veganized using coconut milk and agar agar to achieve that silky texture.
Any of these dishes can complement the Vegan Spanish Rice and Beans flavors and create a comprehensive and satisfying Spanish-themed vegan meal. Enjoy your culinary journey through Spain!