You can almost taste the history in every spoonful of Beef Stew with Rice and Vegetables. You can serve it with some crusty bread.
Beef Stew with Rice and Vegetables - Russian Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup white rice
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Take a large pan and heat the vegetable oil on medium flame.
- Brown the beef on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, cook the onion and garlic until brown.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, rice, beef broth, salt, pepper, paprika, tomato paste, and bay leaf to the pot.
- Then return the beef to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, cooking for 1 hour, or until the beef is tender.
- Add the peas and green beans and cook until the vegetables are tender, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.
Serving Ideas for Beef Stew with Rice and Vegetables – Russian Beef Stew
With Crusty Bread: Serve the stew with a side of crusty bread such as a French baguette or a rustic sourdough loaf. The bread is perfect for sopping up the delicious broth.
Over Egg Noodles: For a heartier meal, serve the stew over cooked egg noodles. The noodles add texture and absorb the rich flavors of the stew.
With a Side Salad: Complement the hearty flavors of the stew with a fresh and crisp side salad. A simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette can balance the richness of the stew.
Garnished with Fresh Herbs: Enhance the flavor and presentation by garnishing the stew with fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, or chives. The herbs add a burst of freshness and color.
In a Bread Bowl: For a unique and comforting presentation, serve the stew in a hollowed-out bread bowl. It adds a fun and edible twist to the dish.
With Roasted Vegetables: Serve the stew alongside roasted root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, or turnips. The roasted flavors pair well with the stew’s savory richness.
With Pickled Vegetables: Offer a side of pickled vegetables like cucumbers or cabbage. The acidity of the pickles adds a nice contrast to the meaty stew.
Served in a Traditional Russian Way: Present the stew in traditional Russian tableware and accompany it with classic side dishes like pickled mushrooms, sauerkraut, or Russian-style pancakes (blini) to offer an authentic dining experience.
With a Sprinkle of Cheese: Add a sprinkle of grated cheese such as Parmesan or Gruyère on top of the stew for an extra layer of flavor and richness.
On a Bed of Mashed Potatoes: Serve the stew on top of creamy mashed potatoes. The combination of textures makes for a comforting and satisfying meal.
These serving ideas can help you create a memorable meal experience with Beef Stew with Rice and Vegetables – Russian Beef Stew, whether you’re enjoying it with family, serving guests, or savoring it on your own. Enjoy!